Thursday, May 11, 2006

Possible Promotion?

BB's to go: 473.7 or $47.37

I'm a social worker for a non-profit organization in Baltimore. I advocate for people with developmental disabilities (mental retardation, cerebral palsy, etc.) In general, I help them get services, get them involved in their communities, and make friends. Essentially, whatever is important to them is what I help them with.

This is a great job. I used to work for Children and Youth Services in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Everyone hated me- parents, kids, police, even the county judge. It was demoralizing to keep pulling people out of the shit they were wallowing in (figuratively) only to have them fight me tooth and nail to get back there.

When you need to have numerous arguments with Mom about how she shouldn't still be dating the man that raped her daughter and impregnated her, you know you're fighting a losing battle.

Now, there is very little strife and contention in my present job. Basically, I'm given my marching orders by the people I serve, and they're happy with me when I help them achieve things.

And I am making differences in people's lives. I've helped people get off the streets and into stable housing, I've set up people coming out of school with job services. I've worked with many of the same people for five years and I've developed some pretty deep relationships.

So, it was with some trepidation that I made a move to give up a lot of that and apply for a supervisory position in my agency. Surely, it's more pay and more work of a different nature, but I will have to transfer most of the people I serve to other co-workers.

On the other hand, I'm ready. Intellectually, I'm bored with what I'm doing. Frankly, it's just not that hard to do. I want to do other things, learn new skills. Also, opportunities for advancement are few and far between in my agency, and I feel the need to take my chances now or risk being where I'm at for at least a few more years.

I'm hoping to know by the middle of next week. I think I have a pretty good chance, as I'm on a self-directed team, which was originally sold to me as a sort of a "supervisors-in-training" gig. Also, I've gotten the highest rating possible on my performance evals two years straight. I need to prepare to be disappointed, though, so I don't go into a funk and become unproductive.

Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Good luck, yo!!!

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home