Friday, July 07, 2006

Leaks, I got 'em

It's time to come clean. I have a serious addiction...to two pairs. And not the hidden kind, either. That would almost be understandable. I'm talking about those awful traps, the paired board type.

To paraphrase Pacino in 'Heat':

"I GOT A GREAT HAND!

I'm sorry, did I scare you? There's something about two pairs...it just brings something out of me."


Fer instance: I'm in a dollah tournament on Stars and I'm doing okay. Chipping up, being aggressive. I've got an above average stack and I'm looking towards finishing ITM. I'm dealt pocket five's under the gun and my 3xBB bet is called by two opponents. The flop is 3AA. I'm out of position, and I'm facing a bet and a call. Clearly, one or both have an ace. If not, the chances of them having a pocket pair better than fives is pretty good.

So, naturally, I go all in.

I end up reverse hoying myself, so I don't miss the ridicule from the table. Someone with PokerTracker tells me to go back to the ten cent tables.

As sad and funny as this tale is, I seriously need to get some self control when faced with this type of hand. I know what the common wisdom is: A bet and a call (or raise) generally means someone has trips.

Intellectually, I know this. It's my emotions I need to control.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home