Monday, June 12, 2006

Poker Weekend Wrap-up

BB's to go: 638.0 or $63.80

It's 85 degrees in my office for some reason, and I'm starting to sweat already, so I'm keeping this short.

I got a last minute dispensation to play at the Hardware Bar on Friday. I can sum up the hour I was there in a few paragraphs:

Registered, bought a soda, smoked a cigarette, and ogled the waitresses.

Met the other people at my table. I few regulars, some Type A punks and a senior citizen. The guy on my left looks like John Lovitz.

First hand: AA. Bet out 3x's the big blind. Two callers. Flop is QJ10. Checked to me and I 1500 and I'm called by both players. Turn: 9. Fuck. About the worst card I could have gotten. First guy bets all-in and I have to fold. He turns over 87 offsuit. I'm on Hardware Bar tilt.

Fold. Fold. Fold. Fold.

Finally see A8 of hearts. I bet the two-club flop and I'm called. Turn is a club. Checked around. River is another club and I laugh and shake my head. The moron on my right whispers "You're showing weakness." I reply "because my hand IS weak." I check-fold to the woman with the nut flush.

Fold. Fold. Fold. Fold.

AQo. I bet another 3x's the big blind and I'm called by multiple players. Flop is 2x2. I min-bet and I'm called. Turn is a 2. I think my ace-kicker is good and go all in. The same lady who beat me with a flush calls right away and shows me her pocket fours. Do I have to say that the river wasn't any help?

So, I go home and lose about five bucks playing tourney. Post a small win on the limit tables.

*********************

Saturday was our neighborhood picnic. Ugh. We know some of our neighbors, but have only really developed any sort of friendship with one other family. I'm not a social butterfly, and I had resigned myself to a night of sitting at a picnic table making small talk, interspersed with uncomfortable silences.

Until someone suggests a poker game. Ah! We play a six man, five-buck tournament that lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. The play was pretty horrible- at one point, there was a heated discussion about how playing any ace was a good idea. Another person asked if K-A-2-3-4 was considered a straight or not. Folding and raising was apparently considered bad form.

I got no cards to start and stayed out of the action. Turned it around when I went all-in with AJs and luckily rivered my straight. Made some pretty bad calls but generally didn't get punished for them. Finally, I was heads-up with a drunk guy in his twenties. I pushed with any hand with a queen or higher. Probably not the smartest play, but I was about pokered out and was ready for bed.

Go figure, I won! My first cash tourney win netted me fifteen bucks. Afterward, I made the smartest play: I gave the money to the Mistress for putting the kids to bed while I played.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home