Thursday, March 30, 2006

Out of the Darkness, into the Light

BB's to go: 278 or $11.12

Welcome to the swings of poker, I guess. Tuesday was awful. I was either card dead, missed flops, was oblivious to the fact that I was beat, or was drawn out on. I went on tilt, big time, which usually isn't a problem for me.

It was so bad, at one point I said "fuck it, I'm donking away my buy-ins." That's eight dollars total, a crucial hit to my 'roll and my move-up goal. Lunacy began creeping into my game.

Yet, after about an hour, I settled down, and slowly gained control over the careening stagecoach my game had become. I caught some cards and reacquainted myself with the "fold" button.

Did I have a good night? Clearly not. But it ended a damn sight better than it had been in the middle. I learned that I can work through a tilt. What I'd rather do, though, is learn how to step away from the table when I'm steaming, instead of trying to power through.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

Hey CL. Two things:

(1) Go to StatCounter.com for a counter to keep track of hits and other useful info. It's free and workes great.

(2) Are you sure you can't afford to throw just a bit more money online. I understand working your way up, but it'll take forever if you are playing super-micro limits. Just a thought.

8:01 AM  
Blogger C.L. Russo said...

Thanks for the tip on stat counter. I'll check it out.

I have enough now to play the next level up. I've been wondering if the competition is much different at .05-.10. I imagine it probably is. I've put in about 5k hands at my current level and I see your point about it taking forever. It's even worse the next level- I'll have to win 1500 BB's before moving up!

My thing is the achievement right now. I don't want to cut corners too much. On the other hand, I'd like to play for some higher stakes before I'm a grandparent!

The crazy thing about poker in general is this: I COULD clear 250BB'S in two weeks. Or, it could take me two years!

What I'll probably end up doing is giving myself a few more weeks and reevaluating.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Guin said...

I think you will find micro levels very frustrating. A lot of the stuff you are reading needs thinking opponents and you aren't facing many!

Deposit $100 and play at the $25 buy in levels... not sure about LHE but that is where people start to think a bit more.

I like the idea of working your way up. I started with $100 and now around 4.5k about 1.5 years later. I am a NL player who could have afforded to put in more cash to start but also worked my way up.

Read Doubleas old posts... he started at the bottom and today he writes poker books!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home