Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Response from Rep. Platts

Sorry, no BB update today. I'm at work and I forgot to check before I left. It was down to around 63 before yesterday, until I lost about 25BBs last night. I'll guestimate and say around 85.

So, about a month or two ago, I signed an e-petition against the anti-internet gambling bill and sent an e-mail to my House Representative, Todd Platts, a republican. Damned if I didn't bring Rep. Platts' letter to work, but it was a generally unremarkable response letter. Thanks for the letter yada yada yada.

There was one part I'll paraphrase that was a bit puzzling:

"...the proposed ban will only eliminate money transfers to illegal online gambling."

What is considered legal internet gambling? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely confused. Can you buy lottery tickets online? Bingo? I don't understand. If I have the time, I'm going to write a follow-up letter to Rep. Platts about this.

And by the way, how is bingo legal but poker isn't? If the Catholic Church had started playing poker instead of bingo however many years ago, I wonder if we'd be in the situation we're in now.

*********

The Mistress and I are working on re-financing our home. Completed a Lending Tree-type form and were contacted by a large mortgage company. They presented some very nice options to consolidate our 80-20 mortgage and pay off our credit debt. Very nice indeed.

Until the Mistress did an internet investigation and found that the company might be a tad shady. I understand that's a relative term. Most mortgage companies seem shady to me. I think it's because I don't know enough about the minutiae of finance- I always feel like I'm being bent over (and not in that good "thank you Mistress, may I have another," way.)

So, I do some of my own research at the Better Business Bureau site. The company has 1.62 million locations in the US, and I could only find one complaint registered against them. I spoke with the guy I've been dealing with and most of my questions were answered sufficiently. My social worker's "liar radar" didn't go off, for what that's worth.

I'm inclined to go for it, as it would be really good for us financially. The things that are important to me- no PMI, fixed rate, lower monthly payment, no out of pocket closing costs- are there. We can walk if the numbers show up differently when it's time to sign, and we've got a 7 day back out period. No other company has been able to offer as much. Still, I can't help thinking we're going to get screwed.

The Mistress isn't sold. I don't necessarily feel that good about selling her on it. The whole thing is ruining my mood.

And to top it off, I've got to go home and plant six trees this evening. Ugh. No use playing poker tonight (although I'm sure I will.) Bad mood equals losing night for me.

************

So, there's going to be a Poker Champ tournament on May 4th. I'm not sure where it's going to be- I'll pass along more info as it becomes available. I suggested the buy-in be $10 in honor of my stupid prop bet, but no confirmation on this as yet.

Edit: I just learned the Poker Champ tournament will be at Pokerstars on May 4th, at 8pm. Buy-in? 10-1. Password: Donkey.

Thanks, Wes!

2 Comments:

Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Freaking Wes taking credit for my idea, figures..

Go to my site for a banner if you want..

8:01 PM  
Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Sweet! So you want to play hu with Veneno? Do you have Yahoo? Find me on IM yosoyveneno..and we can work out the details...

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home